‘Tis the season for the toxic Arizona River Toads to come out of hibernation– with the arrival of our desert monsoons.
Dogs can be poisoned by licking Arizona River Toads.
Signs of Poisoning include:
- Foaming at the mouth/ Hypersalivation
- Pawing at the mouth/ face
First Aid at Home includes:
- Lie your dog on his/ her side and run a stream of water from a hose or kitchen sprayer through your dog’s mouth from side to side. Wiping the gums and teeth with a paper towel or cloth will help to remove the mucus while you are flushing. Try to keep your dog from swallowing as much of the water as possible.
- Call your vet or the nearest Veterinary Emergency Service. They will give you further advice.
If possible, relocate the toad, without touching it to someplace far, far away!